Child Support

Financial support for children is the responsibility of each parent, and is usually determined by an administrative assessment from the Child Support Agency (CSA). You cannot apply to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia for child support, unless your child or children are not covered under the Child Support Assessment Act 1989.

Parents can reach a private agreement in relation to the amount of child support that will be paid for each child, and this can be formalised in a Binding Child Support Agreement or Limited Child Support Agreement. If you are unable to reach an agreement, the Department of Human Services can assist in assessing and collecting child support. You can obtain an estimate of support payable by accessing the Department of Human Services website.

Generally, child support is paid until a child reaches 18 years of age or until the child finishes school. If your child is over 18 years of age and financial support is still required, you should seek legal advice in relation to making an Application for Adult Child Maintenance to the Court.

If there is an issue as to the parentage of the child, DNA testing may need to be undertaken before you can claim child support.

Contact us to arrange an appointment with an accredited Family Law specialist or an experienced solicitor to obtain advice about child support.

Email Enquiry

Judy Stewart

Judy Stewart

Accredited Family Law Specialist